- Municipalities Acting on Climate Together (MACT) Draft Terms of Reference (Keep in mind this has not been vetted by the MACT network – it is only a draft for starting consideration). I just felt there may not be the bandwidth to review this at this moment in time but MACT review and input on the draft Terms of Reference is a future to do when Network participants thinks its makes sense to dedicate time to its review.
- Planning for COVID and Climate – Powerpoint crowdsourcing Messaging/Resources/Strategies as of April 23rd, 2020
Thursday April 23rd, 2020 Discussion
- Discussion/Input RE: COVID/Climate Connections messaging. Hoping to get your input on the messaging developed thus far.
Action Item: Please scan the above linked powerpoint that is being used to compile the messaging/resources and strategies across the municipal political and staff networks and provide Gaby with any input/gaps (email@example.com)
- Sustainability/Climate Lens applied to municipal COVID Response and Recovery Plans. Ensuring a sustainability lead within municipal COVID teams.
Action Item: Explore how your municipality is advancing the effort to have a climate/sustainability lens applied to its COVID Response and Recovery Plans and efforts. We recognize that at this moment in time that there may not be a comprehensive focus associated with the actions being looked at but as we move more into the recovery stage it is likely that there will be the ability to advance a more comprehensive approach to the Recovery Plan. May want to explore the possibility of ensuring there is a Team participant who can provide that Sustainability/Climate lens to the Team.
- CAP would facilitate a crowd sourcing support across municipalities to enable the application of the lens, resources, perspectives, action items. This will be an ongoing process that will be explored and contributed to collectively which will be documented via the above linked powerpoint. There will be different topics explored weekly, the schedule will be sent out to you via the CAP upcoming events email (If you haven’t seen those CAP upcoming events emails check your junk mail file, right click on the email and tell it we are not junk :))
- Municipal advocacy re advancing a Climate friendly COVID Economic Recovery Strategy. What do Network participants see as priorities? There is the Climate Caucus letter that is being sent to the federal government. There is also the ability to send such a letter to the Premier of Ontario from the Ontario Climate Caucus members if that sounds like that would be a good action item. There is also the possibility of getting the Climate Caucus letter in front of your municipal councils to see if they would approve endorsement of the letter (or some other such message) and send it to the federal and/or provincial government. There is also the opportunity to advance the conversation with the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing re the implications of Bill 108 and what the that bill means re green space allocation within Ontario communities. Markham had a council report and staff presentation that can provide some background on this. It will also be added as an agenda item at the next MACT meeting on Thursday April 30th at 3 pm.
- Other needed supports/priorities as you see them. just let Gaby know at firstname.lastname@example.org