Environment, Infrastructure and Community Services
- The existing Skyway Arena is a 22,000 square foot building originally constructed in 1974. Previous staff reports have demonstrated the demand for ice and the community interest in a multipurpose recreational facility in the south east of Burlington.
- Council choose to proceed with an enhanced design of Skyway Arena which included an NHL size rink, six (6) dressing rooms, cold and warm viewing areas and two (2) community rooms with a walking track and to be designed and built to be a low carbon facility.
- The building permit has been approved and project is scheduled to commence October 1, 2022, provided Council approve the revised project budget and overall financing proposal presented within EICS-15-22. The Skyway Community Centre project received three compliant bids.
- The lowest compliant bid creates a funding shortfall of $7.11 million compared to the total project budget that was approved in April 2022 (EICS-03-22) of $32.3 million.
- As per the Financial Matters section of this report staff are recommending that the additional amount of funding be provided from tax supported debt of $2 million, $4.7 million from the City’s infrastructure renewal reserve fund and $0.4 million from capital order BD0058, Corporate Accessibility Implementation Project.
- Staff have worked with the design team to reduce the emissions produced by the facility to align with both the Climate Emergency Declaration and the Corporate Energy and Emissions Management Plan.
- The design also incorporates improved accessibility and inclusivity to align with the needs of our community.
- The following table provides the change to the GHG (T) Annual Emissions as a result of the revitalization to the Skyway Community Centre.
- This is obtained in the current energy modeling based on the same operating hours as previously held at Skyway Arena, square footage and HVAC selection.