Roads, Parks and Forestry
- This report has been provided to update council on discussions with both school boards and confirm the authorization to proceed with the service agreements established for the seasonal maintenance of various pedestrian linkages to schools during the winter season, as well as to address the outstanding related staff directions.
- Winter response is impacted by a changing climate such as severe weather events, extreme cold cycles and fluctuating freeze and thaw events.
- Response to any of these situations vary and are dependent on the severity of each weather event.
- The program is currently dependent on gas and diesel powered equipment, that contribute to the City’s corporate greenhouse gas emissions.
- Through its green fleet replacement strategy, the city will endeavour to reduce its reliance on winter maintenance vehicles which are powered by internal combustion engines.