The Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) is consulting on revisions to their Conceptual Framework. The Intact Centre has joined with KPMG and the Municipal Natural Assets Initiative to draft a joint consultation response encouraging the PSAB to remove the exclusion of natural assets. This would enable municipalities that are ready to reflect natural assets in their financial statements to do so, while not making this an obligation. In this webinar, Joanna Eyquem, Director of Climate Programs at the Intact Centre discussed key points of the consultation response, and how municipalities can get involved.
There are two main action areas:
1. The Clean Air Council is seeking member review to ensure that they are okay with Clean Air Council endorsement of the the letter. Please sens an email to email@example.com if you have any issues with the CAC endorsing this letter.
2. It would be also great to get endorsement from your Accounting senior management to get them to endorse this letter on behalf of the municipality. Even if that the time frame for this letter doesn’t work for that (the deadline for the letter’s submission is May 12th); it still provides an education/engagement opportunity.
- Webinar Recording
- PDF of Presentation
- PSAB Joint Consultation Response
- PSAB joint Consultation Background Information
Endorsements are growing but as of noon on Monday May 3rd:
The list keeps growing by the hour at the moment, currently they have the following responses. MANY others are still considering. Very few refusals to date.
- Insurance Bureau of Canada – Vice President, Federal Affairs
- KPMG – Partner and National Lead, Local Government Practice
- Former Federal Commissioner of Environment and Sustainable Development, Office of the Auditor General of Canada
- Asset Management Ontario – Executive Director*
- Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority – Controller
- Climate Caucus – Steering Committee
- City of Ottawa – Deputy Treasurer*
- City of Mississauga – Director of Finance and Treasurer *
- City of Colwood – Chief Financial Officer / Director of Finance
- Town of Gibsons – Chief Resiliency Officer
- Town of Florenceville-Bristol, NB – Chief Administrative Officer
- Dillon *
- Credit Valley Conservation – CAO
- Network of River Basin Authorities of Quebec – Executive Director
- Nature Conservancy of Canada – Director of Conservation Finance
- Intact Centre on Climate Adaptation – Head
- Municipal Natural Assets Initiative – Executive Director
- Friends of the Greenbelt Foundation – CEO
- Canadian Research Chair in Ecological Economics, Université de Québec en Outaouais – Chair
- Simon Fraser University – Executive Director, Adaptation to Climate Change Team
* indicates confirmed support by email, awaiting actual signatures