Planning and Development
The following are key points for consideration with respect to this report:
- Support House (the Applicant) has proposed Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments for the development of a 2-storey residential building containing 12 self-contained, 1-bedroom affordable housing units for individuals with special needs (mental health and addictions) at 47 Maria Street (Acton).
- The Statutory Public Meeting for the applications was held on July 5, 2021. Of the twelve residents that participated, one spoke in support of the proposal and seven raised concerns. One letter of support and six letters identifying concerns were also received from the public. In addition, a residents’ petition in opposition to the proposal was received.
- The concerns raised by the public related to traffic, parking, construction impacts, over-saturation of similar uses in Acton, on-site and community supports for tenants, neighbourhood safety, scale of the development, etc. Staff responses to the identified questions and concerns are included in this report.
- Town and external agency staff have completed their review of the applications and development proposal.
- This report is recommending approval of the Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment applications.
- This report impacts and/or helps address climate change and the Town’s Net Zero target through climate mitigation.
- Compliance with the Town’s Green Development Standards will be addressed through the approval of the Site Plan application.
- The application of the Green Development Standards to this project will help achieve energy and water efficiencies along with other sustainable objectives.