Climate Change and Asset Management
The following are key points for consideration with respect to this report:
- There are four components of the Privately-Owned Tree Management Strategy (Strategy) as appended to this report:
- The Strategy document
- Appendix A – Explore Background Report
- Appendix B – Engage Background Report
- Appendix C – example of a private tree bylaw framework.
- Current legislation, regulations and policies have influenced and provided direction in developing the Strategy
- Mapping developed through this Strategy has established a baseline of the tree canopy cover in Halton Hills
- Extensive community and council engagement throughout the development of the Strategy has provided an understanding of community values and needs, ideas, to develop a made-in Halton Hills strategy to managing trees on privately-owned land
- The resources and administrative implications associated with preferred Privately-Owned Tree Canopy Management Tools are identified in the Strategy.
- The Strategy will be implemented with support from the Town’s Tree Canopy Management Program and its subcommittee.
- This report also impacts and/or helps address climate change and the Town’s net-zero target through adaptation and mitigation actions including tree canopy protection, reduction of our carbon footprint, and making the Town’s landscape more climate resilient and improving air quality.