- Following the major storm and flooding of August 2014, the City established a Plumbing Permit Fee grant program to provide residents with financial support for improvements being undertaken in their homes or businesses to reduce the risk of basement flooding. This program provides a 100% rebate on the cost of the Plumbing Permit Fee for improvements including:
- Weeping Tile Disconnection and Sump Pump Installation Subsidy
- Backwater Valve Installation Subsidy
- Sewer Lateral (pipe) Lining and Repair Subsidy
- Downspout Disconnection program
- The City’s program was established to provide residents with financial support in addition to Halton Region’s “Enhanced Basement Flood Prevention Subsidy Program”.
- The City’s Plumbing Permit Fee grant program has successfully been in place since 2014.
- Climate Change is an ongoing concern in the City of Burlington for both the storm drainage system and the sanitary sewer system.
- The increasing frequency and intensity of storms are becoming more common.
- Assisting our residents with a rebate for the cost of Plumbing Permit fees will help to promote the installation of basement flood prevention devises in our City’s homes and businesses.
- This program will improve public safety and provide protection for private property and our municipal assets.