- On December 11, 2019, the Community Planning Department acknowledged that complete applications had been received to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law and for a Plan of Subdivision at 2294 & 2300 Queensway Drive to support the redevelopment of the subject lands with a townhouse development.
- The applications originally proposed 25 townhouse units.
- The most recent submission proposes 24 units.
- The purpose of this report is to provide an overview of the applications, an outline of applicable policies and regulations, and a summary of technical and public comments that have been received and staff’s opinion with respect to these applications. This report contains background information, a detailed policy analysis and a staff recommendation.
- The proposed development contributes to the intensification of the City’s urban area and will introduce additional residents to a location that is within reasonable proximity to parks, neighbourhood conveniences and transit services.
- As such, the proposed development supports reduced automobile trip lengths, transit usage, and consequently reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
- Furthermore, while the proposed development increases the amount of impervious surface on the subject site, the proposed development will improve conditions for surrounding properties by directing drainage towards Queensway Drive. Presently, the site drains to the south.
- The proposed development will therefore improve the climate resilience of surrounding properties from a stormwater and drainage perspective.
- Lastly, the submitted Planning Justification Report notes that one visitor parking spot with an electric vehicle (EV) charging station will be provided, and all units will be constructed to be EV conversion ready.
- Also, purchasers of units in Buildings 1-3 will have the option to generate a portion of their energy needs through a solar rooftop energy supply.
- Sustainable design measures will be reviewed and considered at the site plan stage.