- This report provides Council with the preliminary framework and related parameters on which staff will prepare the 2023 proposed budget for consideration by the new 2022-2026 City Council.
- The framework presented in this report will outline principles that have been recognized by Council as important policy decisions, as well as highlight the Multi-year Budget Simulation which has been developed to model tax impacts for the next 5 years.
- In April 2019, Council declared a Climate Emergency. Burlington’s Draft Climate Action Plan (CW-20-19) identified a number of initiatives to assist the City in reducing its overall carbon footprint.
- There are many foundational initiatives in the city’s Vision to Focus (V2F) plan such as creating the Climate Adaptation Plan, Corporate Energy Plan, Green Fleet Strategy, Urban Forestry Management Plan and enhanced Transit that will require significant capital and operating funding to achieve the city’s aspirational climate goals.
- The inclusion of a Green Infrastructure Levy to support several long-term environmental infrastructure initiatives including active transportation and the greening of the corporate fleet and facilities has been forecasted to begin in 2024 as part of the multi-year simulation.